Quick Search For Posts On The Following Topics:

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Diagnosis - Thyroid

I was thinking that things have moved very slowly. It has been 3 months, and I still do not have a definitive diagnosis from the doctors. The best they can do so far is “suspect” a diagnosis of BVFTD. This is very frustrating. Then I did a little research and learned of others who went through 9 doctors, and a year or more of agony trying to get someone to finally believe they had something wrong and were not just slackers or depressed. So, what was different for me? My doctors are good, but they are just doctors like all the rest. I do not really think they are better, but they certainly are not the worst out there. Maybe it is because of an accident. Pure happenstance. When I got my blood tests from the neurologist it turned out that I had Hypothyroidism. One of the symptoms of that is problems with memory. I think my low thyroid caused some memory issues that were already present to get worse. Of course this is just a thought from a broken mind. I am now taking medication for my Thyroid, and it has not seemed to have any effect on my memory so far. I had a few seconds of hope when I first heard the news about my thyroid because it is generally reversible. Those hopes were dashed when my neurologist pointed out that low thyroid does not cause “sever general brain atrophy” as shown on my MRI.

4 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with FTD in July 2010 and went on long-term disability from my job as a senior VP -Investments from a national financial services company after 35 years of being one of the few successful female advisors.It has been hell since I stopped working.As of now I still don't have a full definition of my type of FTD but it appears that it is bvFTD.My search for answers lead me to a university setting where I felt like a rat in a maze.The language being used to describe my case(from 4th year medical students) and a cocky doctor put my attorney,other physicians and myself to questionning their abilities so we stopped goiung down that path.I still feel normal but not with the drive or memory that I had 18 months ago.
    I will follow your blog and feel your humor and frustrations as we both battle this nasty demon,FTD.
    Cheers to our adventure!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Diana

    I really identify with your assessment of feeling normal, and having a deficit in memory and drive. Planning and doing things (drive) are both very difficult for me.

    We do what we can do.

    Some days are better than others.

    As you say, Cheers!
    - to our adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bovine is believed not only by some experts, but also be happy consumers to be one of the best natural thyroid supplements for hypothyroidism. It’s essentially designed to ensure weight loss and total thyroid health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bovine is believed not only by some experts, but also be happy consumers to be one of the best natural thyroid supplements for hypothyroidism. It’s essentially designed to ensure weight loss and total thyroid health.

    ReplyDelete