Quick Search For Posts On The Following Topics:

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Communication - Please leave a message...

I generally do not like to talk on the phone. I have had a dislike for the telephone for many years. Now, with bvFTD, I like it even less. This seems to be the most difficult thing for some people to understand about me. One of the the worst things for me is when I get messages which says something like, "Call me! Call me back! I want to talk to you! How dare you not answer the frakkin phone when I call!?" That is pushing WAY too hard. Don't add to my stress. I have plenty! I really resent messages like that.

It isn't the phone itself. I like my way-smart touch screen phone. It was a present. I use it to read email. I use it for text messaging a lot. I use it to check the weather, and track storms on radar. I get pollen counts. I set reminders and use the alarm. It tells me the time, and the date. It even lights the darkness. That sounds dramatic, but I mean I really use it to light my way around in the dark sometimes. I use the camera all the time. I send picture mail. Voice-mail is great!

My phone is fine. Sometimes I even use it to make a frakkin phone call. It is the people who make it ring that are the problem!

Sometimes I just do not want to talk on the phone
. Sometimes I am busy doing the daily grind stuff. If I answer a call when I am fixing something to eat, and talk for a half hour, do you really think I am going to continue fixing something to eat? I don't think so! Did you read the part about the ADHD-like symptoms? Howzabout the task-switching? Phone calls are evil!

I know it is hard for my friends to understand when I do not answer my phone. Some friends understand better than others. It is not personal. I know sometimes I hurt their feelings. Sorry for that. It does not mean I do not want to talk to them. It just means I don't want to talk on the phone right then. Please just leave a nice voice-mail to say "Hello!", and call again. Sometimes I call back, sometimes not. I know it is a lot to ask, but it is a symptom. I cannot help it. I try as best I can. Some days are better than others. All I can do is thank everyone for their patience. Don't give up. Keep calling, and leaving a voice-mail. I appreciate every one... except maybe the ones demanding I call back.

Sometimes I just can't wait for the phone to ring and talk to someone. What do I know?

Comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment