Quick Search For Posts On The Following Topics:

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

FTD On Holiday

I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to do anything, and I don't want to talk to anybody... and I don't want anybody to tell me different - but more about that later.

It was a conspiracy! My friends plotted and planned, and got me to go to a picnic over Memorial Day weekend. They totally deny any collusion, but I know better. I have dementia, I am not stupid.

I heard through the grapevine there was actually a plan to have someone drive all the way from the picnic to my house and pick me up had I tried to cancel at the last minute. How cruel!

Here is how these conspirators succeeded in their nefarious plot. Only the names and a few facts have been changed to protect the guilty. First I got a phone call from a friend to invite me over for a cook out. I was tentative. Then I got a phone call from another friend inviting me to do something for the Holiday weekend. So, silly me, I said, " Why don't you call my other friend and make some plans. I am not so good at planning stuff."

And they did, the lil bastards!.

So, on Saturday morning at 11 AM I was picked up at my door. My friend had made a broccoli dip, and a cheese cake from scratch. Cheesecake! I did not have to take anything, but I grabbed a bag of chips, and my bocce ball set on the way out the door. It was the best I could come up with.

It is good odds I would have backed out at the last minute as I have done so many times before. Since someone was picking me up, and I didn't have to do anything, I didn't have an excuse. Crap!

I was ready almost on time. I was picked up and delivered, and had a very nice day. There were 8 people there, which is way too many for me to keep track of in conversation, but by limiting my exposure I managed OK. After all, you can only talk to one person at a time anyway, right? Kinda? When things were getting to be a little too much, my friend and I went out on the front porch away from everyone else, and enjoyed a cigar and some easy conversation. That was a nice break from the crowd of eight.

Bocce ball was fun, and both lunch and dinner were very good. My friend's wife was the perfect hostess. We stuffed a lazy boy chair into a car, sat around the fire for a while, and then I was tired and it was time to leave. I was dropped off at my back door, and a few minutes later fell into bed exhausted. It was a good day. I only noticed a few times that my brain is turning to Lime Jell-O.

The point is, if it was not for the efforts of my friends I would not have gone. I do not want to do anything. I do not want to talk to anybody. I do not want to go anywhere. And I don't want anyone telling me different.

But more about that later.

It worked this time, but next time I'll be ready for those lil bastards! Gotta love 'em ; )

Comments welcome.

6 comments:

  1. I guess if I ever want pizza, that will have to be my tactic as well. Expect the unexpected, Mr. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Matilda, but I do not recommend this as a frequent tactic as it makes me feel pushed and pressured. No pressure is better... but I do like pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't be such a sissy dad. Staying in and avoiding people just because it's hard isn't going to get you anywhere good. I'd say it shows a ton of support from your great friends cause they just want you to be there. It may be hard at times, but your friends are there for support. Just remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Ian,
    Yup, I can guess where your opinion will be on the next post. But somehow there has to be a balance, or I will resent being pushed too hard to do stuff I don't feel like doing. Being hijacked gets old real quick! Go figure ; )

    You are right about one thing for sure. My friends have been wonderful, and I appreciate every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to have been co-conspirator. And for another thing, listen to Ian. You taught him well :-)

    See aren't ya glad you got a real phone call instead of a pocket dial for the party?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks fore the comment Kel.

    I can't wait to come out and see your newly remodeled house after seeing all the pictures of the tornado damage. Have yer pocket give me a call sometime ; )

    ReplyDelete