Quick Search For Posts On The Following Topics:

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Good Days

Some days are better than others.

I had a really great weekend. What is unusual is that I had a really great weekend, and I did not just sit around home and watch the grass grow.

On Saturday we went to Skunkfest. Yup! There is a festival for skunks and their owners. Of course I never would have gone alone. I would have thought about it, and then afterward wished I had, but I never would have made it. It took a little support from a couple of friends (OK. A LOT of support, and some hand-holding!), but Kroozer, my friend, and I packed up and went. It was a lot of fun.

I drove, and with the help of my GPS had no difficulty in getting there. Kroozer was agitated to be loose in the car at first, but calmed down when he went back into his crate which was set up in the back of the Jeep. He was awake for the whole trip which took a couple hours.

The festival was larger than we expected. There were about 25 vendors, and a lot of people with skunks who were more than happy to share their experiences. There were big skunks, white skunks, brown skunks, and little teeny skunks the size of a gopher.  The skunk rescue agency (Skunk Haven) where I adopted Kroozer sponsored the event, and they were all glad to see his fat butt again. He did surprisingly well in the crowd of people, and only bared his teeth once at another skunk. I think he was afraid we were going to set him up with an albino-fattie skunk. He made it clear he does not like albino-fatties.
We went to SkunkFest and all we got were these kool tshirts!

Back - a raised skunk tail!









 Kroozer was tired, and so were we. I carried him around in my arms like a baby almost the whole time. It reminded me of when my kids were little. Like a baby he got heavy after a while. He slept all the way home hiding under a towel in his crate. That is typical. He likes to burrow under a towel, or a pillow, or the couch cushions. We left him sleeping while we stopped at a nice restaurant for dinner. He was so sound asleep I don't think he even noticed we were gone until I woke him up opening the car door after dinner.

Overall it was a good day. I managed my symptoms pretty well. I was able to concentrate on one thing at a time and not get overwhelmed. After a couple hours it became a little more difficult, and I started to feel some anxiety. It was time to leave - Kroozer was ready to go too - so we said our good-byes, and left.

One thing did happen on the way there that really upset me. We stopped at a rest stop, and I rearranged Kroozer's carrier, and his crate, so he could climb in and out between the front seat, and the back whenever he wanted to. When it was time to get back on the road again I had no idea where the car keys were!

I thought I had set them down just inside the back door, but when I looked they were not there. With the issues I have been having with my memory lately I was pretty upset. I was also upset because I could not find the car keys anywhere. I was getting a little panicked, and frustrated. I was sure it was a symptom of my FTD.

My friend calmly found the keys. They were almost where I thought I had left them, but they had slipped down into a crack between the seats. We discussed this, and both decided it was not a symptom, but just something stupid that could have happened to anybody.

The point is - sometimes it is difficult to tell whether something is a symptom or not. Most of the time it doesn't matter (I don't care, and I don't notice!), but losing the car keys in the middle of a trip is enough out of the ordinary to be noticed.

In any case - I am going to finally place another set of keys hidden on the car as a back up.

Forewarned is half an octopus!

The most valuable information we gained was that Kroozer is not really a schizophrenic skunk. All skunks seem to be schizophrenic. The general consensus is that it can take up to 2 years for a skunk to get acclimated to a new home. On that front Kroozer is doing really well.

But wait! That's not all!

On Sunday we went to The Renaissance Festival!

It was the busiest I have ever seen it, and for sure the biggest crowd of eccentric people I have been a part of for a long time. I am guessing 10,000 people or more, but who can tell - it could have been twice that. It was a busy place! I did not have any issues with the hustle and bustle. I have been there enough times in the past where I was comfortable with the surroundings, and knew what to expect. That made it very manageable for me.

It was a full day starting with breakfast out, and not ending until way late into the evening. It was both fun and tiring. Other than losing my sense of direction a couple of times in the midst of the madding crowd, I do not believe I had any FTD related issues at all. I did not drive, and was well looked after throughout the day. That made it very low stress for me. At least as low stress as being in the midst of thousands of people can be. I got a little antsy after several hours, but the festival was closing anyway so it didn't matter. It was time to leave.

I had help this weekend, and was happy to have it. I would have just stayed home, and watched the grass grow if it had not been for the support of someone who cares. For that I give many thanks, and much appreciation. In small insidious ways I am becoming more and more dependent on other people. This is something I am not at all used to, and do not at all like. This is something I both accept, and fight against. I have always been a very independent person, and I want to remain that way as long as I possible can - and then just a little bit longer!

Some days are better than others. This weekend I had two good days in a row - and so far today ain't too shabby! I will take the good days whenever I can get them.

Comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. When last we talked you were already trying to think of excuses not to go to either event, so Hooray for you and Kroozer and your amazing friend! See, you bring support, you do it for someone other than you (Krooz) and you manage your symptoms and leave when you've had enough. If only we were all so smart. Yea, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Matilda.

    Also thanks for the support. It helped my resolve considerably when we spoke on the phone. I got my butt out the door - now it is your turn.

    ReplyDelete